Sunday, January 24, 2010

the zofran

ok so I know my posts have been a bit on the whiny side lately. Sorry for that, but having "mystery illness" is kinda bringing me down. Today is going to be more of the same. Have you ever heard the saying that goes "the cure is worse than the disease"? I think I am experiencing a bit of that.
Like i said yesterday, Dr. S. gave me some Zofran for the nausea. Well I took some fri night and
it gave me a real headache and made my hands itch and just made me feel weird in general. So yesterday I decided not to take it. I woke up feeling ok and not nauseated so I kind of hoped that the worst was behind me. After a very lazy morning we decided to pack up and go to Des Moines to the BIG mall. The place was a zoo but we had a fabulous time. I got some sweet deals on some stylish clothes and got some cute jammies for the girls and some Wii games. But towards the end I was starting to feel sick. Still, I could not resist hitting the Starbucks on the way out. BIG mistake. The coffee in my already upset tummy just made everything worse, and I got super sick in the car and spent the drive home with my head between my knees trying not to puke but wishing i would and JUST GET IT OVER WITH! When we got home I took a Zofran right away and sat down with some gatorade and crackers and after a bit my stomach started to settle and i even had some dinner. But then the real fun started...

My arms and legs began to tingle and then I began to feel a pain that can only be described as being stung by hundreds of bees up and down my body. my chest and back hurt and my head hurt. Then my neck muscled began to spasm. It was very painful and scary. I called First Nurse and talked to a nurse, who told me that I was likely having a reaction to the zofran. But since it wasnt an anaphylactic reaction iit was not a medical emergency, unless the pain got so bad i could not stand it. Then I could go to the ER and they would just treat the pain. I really strongly considered going to the er, but I was very tired and didn't feel like being a non-emergent case in the city's only ER on a saturday night, if you know what I mean. So I took some tylenol and just dealt with it.

So here it is the next day and i am still in pain. Mostly it is my arms and hands, but there is intermittent leg pain and chest pain. And the huge headache. It comes and goes but the last few hours have been bad. I feel very discouraged and am starting to be scared that it is something worse than a drug reaction. I mean, I took the zofran a full 24 hours ago! Unless it is taking it this long to get out of my system...

One good piece of news is that I have not been nauseated yet today. Also, I was up early this morning (thank you, pain) so I decided to make it to early church. I went with Emma and heard a really great sermon and was glad I went. Also, I went to a birthday party with my family today even though I didn't feel like going and had a really great time. I feel like I have been under the weather forever (even though it has only been about a week) but I am trying not to let it run my life or effect my family too bad.

So now my dilemma is, do I call the dr tomorrow and tell him about this weekend? I just don't know. I don't want to be a pain in the butt. I don't want him to think I am malingering or drug seeking or hypochondriatic. But crap, i just want to feel OK for one day!

Here is what I think. If I am still in this pain tomorrow i will call. I will call if I am nauseated (since obviously I can't take the zofran). But if i feel ok tomorrow I will not call, and I will just wait until I see him in a few weeks to tell him what happened with the zofran.

Sounds like a plan.

Oh yes, it has been a full week since i have purged :)

7 comments:

Lost in Obsession said...

Wow, a full week? That is no small feet, that is freaking AWESOME!

:D I am in aww of that.

As far as the pain, I would have freaked and made my spouse take me to the ER. Thats crazy. Glad your feeling better tho. Hang in there.

now.is.now said...

Aw, Lisa, this sounds horrible! I hope you get some relief soon!

Maeve said...

I say call the doctor. It's not a hypochondria to have an allergic reaction to a drug. Nor is it weird/wrong/faking to want to get a cure to unrelenting nausea.

Good luck with it all!

P.S. Well done on not purging for a week. That is fantastic. Even if your body is being a pain right now, it will thank you in the long run.

Alexandra Rising said...

Sorry you had that experience! That does not sound fun at all! And isnt nausea in the car the worst feeling?
<3 I saw your fb status and was wondering what happened. I hope you feel better soon, all this wear and tear is no fair!

I Hate to Weight said...

if it were me, i'd call my therapist and work with her to plan the best plan of action for me. i know she'd empower me to feel less afraid to call to the doctor, and she'd make sure i didn't think i was a hypochondriac.

that's what i'd do.

i'm sorry you are feeling so crummy. i despise nausea.

i hope something helps soon. you are entitled to ask for and get the best help possible.

Tia said...

I've always found it strange how we physically make ourselves ill but when something else, an outside force, makes us ill it feels SO much worse. Like when you have stomach flu and are vomiting, it's 100x worse than making yourself purge. Anyways, your posts aren't whiny... IMHO. I hpoe you feel better soon :)

Tia said...

oops - i signed my last post with my default baking blog login, not my ED one... http://dietcolagirl.blogspot.com